An ECOBOARD is a high-performance sustainable board. ECOBOARDS have the same technical performance attributes as any modern water-sport board, while having reduced environmental and toxic impacts – through the use of more sustainable materials and manufacturing processes.
When you see a board displaying the ECOBOARD Level One or Gold Level label it has been verified by Sustainable Surf that it has one or more of the following attributes:
A measurably reduced carbon footprint
Renewable, recycled and/or up-cycled material inputs
Uses materials and processes that reduce toxicity during manufacturing
ECOBOARD Level One
ECOBOARD Level One, uses one of the Qualified Materials (core or resin) the board will have a significant reduction in environmental footprint without affecting performance, durability, or quality.
To carry the ECOBOARD Level One designation, a board must:
- Use at least one Qualified Material in its construction
- Plant-based, low to zero VOC resin* with at least 19% bio-carbon content
- Core with at least 25% recycled or plant-based content, or wood constituting at least 50% of the board by weight
- Be manufactured by an approved ECOBOARD builder
ECOBOARD Gold Level
The newest evolution in the ECOBOARD Project, ECOBOARD Gold Level rewards the top sustainable boards and board builders – those with the greatest environmental impact reduction. Informed by Sustainable Surf’s ECOBOARD lifecycle study, boards carrying this label are using more sustainable materials, sourced from responsible supply chains, and made by board builders with improved manufacturing processes.
To carry the ECOBOARD Gold Level designation, a board must:
- Use at least one Qualified Material with the Gold Level designation, and one other Qualified Material of any level (core or resin*)
- Be manufactured in a facility that has been Validated to produce Gold Level ECOBOARDS